Monday, 21 July 2014

Police review their relationship with Bailiffs

This article was first blogged in January 2009.  I make no aplogies for repeating the exercise and hope you read  Emma Cruces piece carefully.  It is very good but omits several salient fact.  Facts I shall not go into until after I can guage the response from Britain's premier investigation Authority.
On Wednesday of this week, I shall be with the Police in London and will try to explain why this needless and illegal death should get properly investigated.  It is not as if this death is an isolated incident. But for the fact that someone recorded, on video, the killing of paper vendor Ian Tomlinson, that sad episode would never have resulted in any action whatsoever.

The way the politicians, police and Magistrates have closed ranks over the death of Andy Miller is another indictment of this country and where it is heading.  It is small wonder that paedophiles have been allowed to go about their filthy pursuits as those in Office do, apparently, everything possible to cloud and obstruct information being freely available to the people.

Probe into Accrington pensioner's death after bailiff visit over speeding fine
8:40am Friday 16th January 2009 in Search By Emma Cruces   

PROBE: An investigation has been ordered into the death of Andy Miller

A PENSIONER collapsed and died from a heart attack after being taken to a cashpoint by a bailiff to pay an overdue speeding fine.
Justice Minister and Blackburn MP Jack Straw has ordered court bosses to launch an investigation into the death of retired pub landlord Andy Miller.
The family of Mr Miller, 78, of Accrington, have told of their anger that a bailiff was sent to his house, saying it would have put him under ‘incredible duress’.
Mr Miller had been released from a two-month stay in hospital a fortnight before after suffering a heart attack at Ewood Park before a Blackburn Rovers game.
His son, Mick, 48, said the family had written to the court to explain why Mr Miller had not paid the overdue £60 speeding fine for an offence committed on the M55.
But Blackpool magistrates still gave permission for the bailiff to go to his home in India Street, Accrington.
The court also added on £290 to what Mr Miller owed in court costs.
The official went round on January 7 and asked Mr Miller, a former landlord of the Cabin End pub in Knuzden, to visit a cashpoint and pay the fine, his family said.
Father-of-five Mr Miller was driven to Accrington town centre. The bailiff parked up and waited for Mr Miller, but he collapsed in Union Street before he reached a cashpoint.
Coroner Michael Singleton has ruled out an inquest, because tests had found Mr Miller died of natural causes as a result of heart problems, officials said.
His son Mick said he wanted answers from court bosses as their letter told them his father was suffering from memory loss and confusion.
Mick, who lives in Lower Darwen, said: “Bailiffs should not be allowed to behave like this.
“Dad was put under incredible duress.
“I know how nervous he had been and what a strain this would have been on him.”
Mr Miller’s nephew Steve Flanigan, 61, added: ”He was by himself when it happened. I can’t help but think that if I had been there it would have been a very different story.
“The visit must have been such a shock, because most people don’t know what their rights are. When someone is there on your doorstep, can you just tell them to go away? Do you have to do what they say? Most people just wouldn’t know.”
Police said CCTV cameras showed Mr Miller walking alone to various points in the town centre, shortly before he collapsed.
Officers who had been patrolling nearby were at his side within minutes and attempted to resuscitate him. Police later interviewed the bailiff, who made himself known to officers.
Sergeant Graham Brownsmith said it was ‘clearly a tragic incident’.
Greg Pope, Hyndburn MP, said he was so concerned by the case that he brought it to the attention of Mr Straw who ordered the investigation.
He said: “There are many things about this case which require an answer. Why didn't the court service take into account that Mr Miller was in poor health? There needs to be some sort of answer to that question and I hope the court service will come forward and do that.”
A spokesman for the Her Majesty's Courts Service said they could not comment fully due to the investigation but added: “We would like to offer our sincere condolences to Mr Miller’s family. We will report back to them.”
Mr Straw: "Greg Pope got in touch with me and we have arranged for an investigation to take place. We await the outcome."
Mr Miller’s family said that before his illness he had been suffering money problems - which they believe may have been why he had not paid the speeding fine - and had been working as a cleaner in a bid to make ends meet.
After a heart attack on October 25, the former Blackburn town centre, Barrow and Knuzden pub landlord suffered a stroke and was in a coma for 10 days.
He was allowed home on Christmas Eve, his birthday, to spend the festive season with his family.