The rule of qualified majority voting (QMV) in the Council of the European Union applies to the adoption of proposals on the following matters concerning employment and industrial relations (Article 153(1) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU)):
- improvement in particular of the working environment to protect workers’ health and safety;
- working conditions;
- informing and consulting with workers;
- the integration of persons excluded from the labour market;
- equality between women and men with regard to labour market opportunities and treatment at work;
- combating social exclusion;
- the modernisation of social protection systems.
- protection of workers where their employment contract is terminated;
- representation and collective defence of the interests of workers and employers, including co-determination;
- conditions of employment for third country nationals legally residing in Community territory.