Wednesday 22 December 2010

Blackpool RMA resignation letter

Below is the resignation letter sent by the former Mayor of Rhyl to his Association, The Blackpool,Fylde and Wyre Royal Marine Association.

NB, the Secretary of the Association did everything possible to obstruct independent scrutiny of the Minutes and other records relating to the running of that organisation.

Is this what we are seeing again with the same personnel but on a larger stage?

19 March 2006

Mark Smith

Chairman - Blackpool, Fylde & Wyre RMA.

Dear Mark,

I would like to submit this letter as my resignation from Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre RMA. I have been uncomfortable with the way Blackpool is being run for a -long, long time and in particular what I see as a cabal created between yourself, the Secretary and the Treasurer.

I am not writing this letter in confidence and therefore it can be shared with the Board or whoever else you wish to share it with. The only copy of this letter will be sent to Stephen Flanagan as I believe he has been a victim of the way the senior officers in Blackpool operate.

I would inform you that your medal application is already lodged within the RMA and I have expedited it through as quickly as possible. You would pardon me if I now point out to you that on request for information from me, you expected me to drive 700 miles to view documentation and yet you use electronic means of copying documentation and sending it to me when you need something. This is a tactic that you have also used with Flanagan when he has requested information and I also note that Mr Staniforth has written to you showing discontent and you have allegedly completely ignored him.

My differences with the three of you go back a long way. You have appointed yourselves to senior positions in both the Northern RMA and the Royal Marines Association itself. During the time when I attended Blackpool regularly, and Board meetings, I never once knew of any election to appoint you to senior positions.

In fact I was invited onto Northern Board by Ron Bell without election.

I was further disgusted by the Secretary's discussion of the personal details of the Chief Executive of the RMA's interview and in doing so l find he demeaned the Chief Executive and his position.

I also note that the Secretary cancelled the old time drill squad at both branch and Northern Region level even though branch had voted for this to happen and the drill squad had as many as nine members who had volunteered to it, the chance of a hall to practice in and uniforms on standby to be manufactured (25 of) at a cost of £1500. Then of course it wouldn't have done to have Alan Logan forming a drill squad and taking any kind of kudos from that. I was appalled to find that later on Blackpool paid £1500 for 3 uniforms and resurrected the project. I can understand ambition but this smacks of naked ambition and it shows.

I was further dismayed at the Walcheren night ball to find that the only table that had not got names of guests on belonged to "Mr Bell's party" and I understand why Flanagan was so angry that night when people sat at the table he was allocated, which might have been in Cleveleys for all the care that was admonished on him.

He was certainly put at the far side of the room.

I have now watched Blackpool run for almost 2 years without proper Board meetings. I have received minutes that say the RMA will not be discussed in the bar which apparently came from an address that the Chairman gave in a meeting. In other more senior RMA's, for example Exmouth and Exeter, he would have been laughed out of the room.

I also note that you have denied me paperwork from grant applications that you made on behalf of other RMA's which I presume are Northern RMA's and BLESMA. I will not travel 700 miles to see it and although Flanagan may waive his rights in front of you, it is actually a right that I should have sight of this application if I wish to.

Another huge complaint that I would lay before you is the fact that, when Flanagan's "hearing" was determined, that information was in Head Office the very next day and yet months after I have emailed you for information you have refused to provide it, hiding behind the scenario that documentation can only be viewed at the Secretary's home. You've got to be absolutely joking.

I have further watched at the last election (as you have now unaccountably changed the rules and appointed yourselves to a 2 year term) where the Secretary almost fell off his chair to find that the Chairman was not on the nominations and immediately extended the deadline for nominations thereby rigging the election. That was the point when I gave up on Blackpool.

I know you will probably point out that Blackpool members are extremely happy, they probably are and therefore the 3 of you would undoubtedly win another election, and if I'd have not been a slightly more prominent figure than Flanagan within the Royal Marines Association, I think you would have axed me from Blackpool as well.

Another point I would make is that the three of you jointly answered emails to me when I expressed my concern. Surely this should have been the full Board not just the cabal of the 3 of you. I found those emails threatening. They indicated that I was the third member who would have been thrown out within 2 years.

That would have been quite a record for a young RMA like Blackpool.

I will have one last word on the outing of Flanagan. If you'd have kept Flanagan within the organization, as I suggested and tried by email and phone to make you realize the problems you have caused for the future, you would have probably had a quieter 60ft anniversary at Lympstone in September.

Moreover, one of your own Board members also pointed out to me that, at a social function in Lympstone, you reserved seating areas 'for senior officers of the Blackpool Board and their wives’ and this was reported by another Board member to me. Believe me in talking to various RMAs throughout the country the views about Blackpool come up quite often.

Finally there is the scenario that I was asked by your Secretary to stand for office at Liverpool RMA where I was also a member and to take over the Liverpool RMA and lead them into an amalgamation with Merseyside RMA and then bring them back into Northern Board. This shows absolute arrogant stupidity. If I had have taken up that challenge and either of the branches had found out I would have been physically assaulted by the members. Liverpool RMA does not want to be in Northern Region and you can now see why.

Ambition, ignorance and crass stupidity abound within your cabal. I happen to think far from being wonderful members of the RMA you are actually full of manipulative ambition which I personally cannot see doing the RMA any favour’s.

Yours sincerely

2 comments:

  1. Thank fuck I'm a Gunner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AS FRESH AS EVER ...THE RMA BLACKPOOL NEVER CHANGES

    ReplyDelete