Friday 25 July 2008

Not in MY NAME.

Gordon Marsden
MPs Gordon Marsden and Joan Humble have been elected to top offices in a new All-Party Parliamentary Group which has been set up to advance and lobby for veterans’ interests in both Houses of Parliament.
At the inaugural meeting of the all-party group which includes both MPs and Peers, Mr Marsden was elected chair and Mrs Humble secretary. The new Veterans Group, which already has over 90 members who have joined from both Commons and Lords, drawn from all the main parties and crossbenches has among its aims “Emphasising the importance of veterans, young and old, in our communities and way of life”.
Last evening I had dinner with a former comrade and his sons, one a veteran of the Iraq illegal campaign. So incensed were all that the elder son said he was prepared to stand against Marsden in the next election "to show the hypocrisy of the position".
I have not had a single reply from Mr Marsden since I pointed out that the British Armed Forces were the only force in the World, especially in Europe, that has not derogated against homosexuals into the Armed Forces. And I asked him why not?
It is a tool of enormous blackmail. From members of my own immediate family, all long serving members of HMF's, the abuse against heterosexual members is wide spread and getting worse. As with the race situation, you try to comply with QR&R's and you are hit with..."you can't do that, I'm a homosexual (substitute Black for race)." If you raise the problem you are immediately labelled homophobic. Nothing can be further from the truth.
I did a twelve week stint on an OP in Belfast with five other men. When I got back from leave two of the corporals had disappeared, gone, whizzed out of the Mob because, as rumour had it, they were caught in the brown trap. I was angry on two levels. One, because I had no inkling or even cared if the lads were nosh or not, they did their duty. Two. I was aware that mere association could tarnish my career. Under the Official Secrets Act no questions were asked and no explanation given.
What I cannot get out of my head is the idea that Gordon Marsden would have been branded unfit to serve, has no concept of service life, has no empathy with servicemen and women other than never answering reasonable queries from me on issues from procurement to the housing of divorced serving personnel.
Will someone inform me to whom I must raise my most serious objection to this position and it's head and secretary?
As the protesters said against the illegal Iraqi War, not in my name.
As for Joan Humble? Most local ex service men are still trying to digest her crass 'Polish immigrants' comments.
Stick to your Gay Rights, Gordon and let real soldiers argue for former soldiers rights. As you all know, we have none.
blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment