Wednesday 21 November 2007

Ian Smith. A Great Man Gone. How Right you have been proved.

clipped from ap.google.com

Ian Smith, Ex-PM of Rhodesia, Dies at 88

Smith unilaterally declared independence from Britain on Nov. 11, 1965. He then served as the prime minister of Rhodesia from 1965 to 1979 during white minority rule. The country failed to gain international recognition, and the United Nations imposed economic sanctions.

Smith had imprisoned Mugabe in 1964 for 10 years, calling him a "terrorist" intent on turning the country into a one-party dictatorship.

Zimbabwe's state television and radio briefly reported Smith's death on late night news shows Tuesday.


blog it
From a country now run by corrupt mediocrity, it is a pleasure to say that I fought alongside this great man, and thank him for giving me back my self respect and dignity.
I have heard that the Blacks in Rhodesia said that it was the worst type of racism, living under the Smith regime. I never heard that from Black Rhodesians. In fact, my house servant said to me, on the eve of the 1979 elections, when it was obvious that British monitors had turned a blind eye to the flagrant voting irregularities that eventual selected Mugabe, "I am a Malawian, Iche. I don't like Black Africa..."
In my Regiment, to a man, Ian Smith was a hero, a straight man, a good man. I served with the Rhodesian African Rifles and was one of a tiny handful of Whites who can honestly say so. My Black comrades would corroborate this, if they had not been massacred by the 5th Brigade in the early 80's. There was more respect between the racial groups, the military and civil authority in Rhodesia than can ever be replicated in this artificial and false environment. And 90% of the Rhodesian Army, small as it was, poorly equipped as it was, under enormous pressure as it was, was BLACK.
When the story of this hero is finally told, I wonder if many will tell of his exploits in the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Britain. My dad told me he was a Smith's ground crew member at Biggin Hill. That will do for me.
It was not political pressure that destroyed Rhodesia. It was when South Africa stopped supplying essential weapons and ammunition. FACT.
Smith own farm was established on marginal land, nestled among TTL's, and thrived because of his hard work and desire to thrive.
This is his humble ranch house.


Sorry! This is Robert Mugabe's swimming pool.
How RIGHT YOU WERE, PRIME MINISTER.


No comments:

Post a Comment