Wednesday 4 June 2008

Conservatives not telling about their expenses.

This morning's Telegraph reveals that David Cameron has "demanded" a "full explanation" from Mr Chichester. If such an explanation is not forthcoming it is suggested that Mr Chichester will be removed as leader of the Tory MEPs.

It's vital that the Tory leadership get answers to a range of questions. Open Europe's Neil O'Brien has identified three key topics:

  1. Why are some Conservative MEPs refusing to answer basic questions about how they handle their expenses? Why won’t they name their service providers?
  2. What “services” exactly are being provided the MEPs “service providers” and who are they employing?
  3. Have other MEPs or their relatives been paid - either directly or indirectly - by the service providers which they have paid their expenses into?

The Conservative Party's MEP selection process was constructed so that all sitting MEPs were re-adopted. Grassroots members were excluded from what was a centralised and undemocratic process. The party leadership needs to make amends by making tough requirements of the MEPs it has protected. Some MEPs like Chris Heaton-Harris already operate a full disclosure policy - see this section (below) of his website. All MEPs should do the same.

MEPs also get a "General Expenditure Allowance" which is currently £2896.17 per month. This is meant to cover all sorts of things including: Office rental, telephone lines, computers etc, mobile phone costs, travel within my region and the UK, newspapers/magasines, stamps and other postage, office equipment, etc etc. There have been some stories in the newspapers about MEPs being allowed to pay for a "additional voluntary pension" from this allowance. Whilst it is true that you can do this, MEPs are expected to repay this money (which is deducted at source). Anyhow I have not been a member of the scheme since 2004.

I use Alliotts Accountants in Guildford as my "Service Provider". They ensure that all the money I have allotted to me for staff is spent correctly, that the correct tax, national insurance and other deductions are made and report this annually to the European Parliament services.

I do currently employ a member of my family to work for me. My wife, Jayne, is my UK Diary Secretary and I pay her £1,000 per month (gross). Should you wish to meet with me about European issues, either in Brussels, Strasbourg or (preferably) the UK, please hit the “Contact Chris” link on the left-hand menu and we can start the ball rolling.

We have had 11 years of Labour incompetence and ineptitude. Are we to replace it with that old Conservative attitude of 'I know best'? Why cannot we have a ballot paper that simply states that none of the above are fit to represent me?

The New Politician has proved that more public scrutiny is demanded, NOT LESS.


No comments:

Post a Comment