Sunday 30 September 2007

Politics in Blackpool

You may wonder why I dare take this article from a leading Sunday paper.
I dare because I know many former BOOTNECKS who are now members of the BNP and several of them are Councillors. At least I know where these people stand. I contrast this position with that of Councillors, both past and present, who represent the major parties, but do not have a clear conviction of their own except - as it appears to gain office for the sake of talking down to those who do not. When I say talking down I also mean those who purport to listen, and then they listen, and they end up listening and doing nothing.
When their political masters say jump their only response is to whimper "how high?"
When Blackpool Council was debating the adoption of 12 Reg. RA as the towns regiment I wqs one of only three independent observers in the Council Chambers. My notes read..."I wonder if I am at a Meeting of a august body, or a debating society for the illiterate?" It left the two former regular Artillery senior ranks -observing -with a distinctly sour taste in their mouths. How dare the political parties try to gain political points from an issue that ought to be taken as read. Had the All Pink Mincing Regiment applied for adoption there would be hoardes outside the town hall demanding acceptance. Regular soldiers, it seems, have to beg for the right to march through English towns. What is going to happen when a regiment marches through Tipton? Sorry (sic), that can never happen whilst the country is more interested in the plight of former American detainees, while some are still asking why they were there? I know why British soldiers are in war zones. I do not know why British citizens are confronting them. I know what the BNP are saying. I have no idea what the major parties postulate.


Cameron ally sparks immigration row: 'We must listen to BNP voters'



Remarks by Conservative peer on eve of party conference are labelled 'grotesque'
Brown calls 'council of war' to weigh up whether to announce a snap election

One of David Cameron's most trusted and senior political allies has plunged the party into a race row by claiming that people who vote for the far-right British National Party (BNP) have "some very legitimate views" on immigration and crime.

In an interview with The Independent on Sunday, Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, the shadow Minister for Community Cohesion, fuelled the already highly charged debate about immigration by arguing that it has been "out of control".

Mr Cameron's problems were deepened today by a new poll that shows him trailing on nearly every indicator. The Observer survey found 70 per cent of voters wanted an election before next spring – and 41 per cent would vote Labour, compared to 34 per cent supporting the Tories.

 blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment